ASP Hosting sale!
Double disk space and transfer for FREE!
Limited time offer! Act Now!

aspdev | articles | tutorials | forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MCSD.NET Certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> .NET Programming (ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twinkle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: MCSD.NET Certification Reply with quote

Has anyone completed the Microsoft .NET certification? Is it something worthwhile to pursue? How difficult was it compared to the other Microsoft certifications?
x-raysteve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Microsoft certifications were extremely over-rated. I used to manage a network operations center and the MCSE's that I would see were almost universally worthless. Studying for a test doesn't really match doing it in real life. That being said, some of the better Cisco certs were actually gold when looking for engineers.

I do not know anything about the programming certs, so they may be more worthwhile, I would just guess they are not.
twinkle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like when getting a non-contract job, though, Microsoft certs can be important. I know one job I applied for that I was way over-qualified for in terms of experience, but they could not do anything because of lack of Microsoft certification. I wonder if some HR departments don't get kick-backs from Microsoft.
rose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinkle, what job was that?
What skills did they require?

Generally if you have the skills, they will hire you regardless of certifications.
twinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rose wrote:
twinkle, what job was that?
What skills did they require?

Generally if you have the skills, they will hire you regardless of certifications.

Depends on the person doing the hiring. It was a hardware/software rollout contract job for a major university. We were going to be implementing a few thousand pcs. Funny thing is I met one of the guys who got hired because he had an MCSE and he was a total burn-out and worthless.

The problem was the hiring manager was not a technical guy, so he had no idea how to judge if someone was competent, so he had to rely on things like certs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> .NET Programming (ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: