ASP Hosting sale!
Double disk space and transfer for FREE!
Limited time offer! Act Now!

aspdev | articles | tutorials | forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening MYSQL DB in Access?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> SQL Programming (MS SQL Server, MS Access, MySQL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twinkle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Opening MYSQL DB in Access? Reply with quote

Is there any way to do this? Not sure why I wanted to do this except to be able to manually extract some data from one of my website databases. All my websites run mysql, but I do not run mysql on my home machine. So I was going to see if I could just import the data file into access to look at the data.

Access would not read the file. Is this something that is not possible? Is there a program that will do a simple view of a mysql db file on my windows xp machine? I have tried some of those front-ends but they do way to much and want to read the running database. I just want to view the database as a static file.
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you can do this using the MySQL Connector/ODBC. There's some information about how to do it at this link: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/msaccess-setup.html
paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use phpmyadmin to look at your MySQL data online.

Paul
twinkle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikel,

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like what I was looking for, for sure.

Paul,

I the problem I had is I was trying to look into a backed up database that I had taken offline. So I was not at liberty to just pull it up in phpmyadmin. Thanks for the suggestion though!
x-raysteve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you export the file? Did you just export it into csv? You could have just opened it up in Excel if you did that.
twinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I exported it as sql. I don't ususally save my backups as csv. Is there a way to read a sql file in excel?
mikelbeck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can import it into Excel as a text file, but it's going to be way screwy when you do that. Wink

If you use phpMyAdmin, I'm pretty sure there's an option to export it as either an SQL file or a CSV file.
twinkle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelbeck wrote:
You can import it into Excel as a text file, but it's going to be way screwy when you do that. Wink

If you use phpMyAdmin, I'm pretty sure there's an option to export it as either an SQL file or a CSV file.

Yup. I backed it up as sql though, so I think the option to read it with excel was lost. Basically it comes down to me wanting to view the data in a Backup sql file for a database that is offline.

I am able to do that now so I am happy. Smile Thanks for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ASPdev.org Forum Index -> SQL Programming (MS SQL Server, MS Access, MySQL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: